There is a lot of noise around supplements and whether they really work and whether or not we need them. There is a lot of information out there that offers conflicting advice, and this just exasperates the confusion.
It is proven fact that we need vitamins to maintain health and stave off disease. However, if we are getting a healthy diet do we really need supplements for health or for skin? The answer is most definitely YES. What you have to remember is that supplements aren’t a replacement for a healthy diet and lifestyle, but just as the word says, they are there to supplement it. This means that it completes (or enhances) something else when added to it. In this case, your diet. We need so much more than the recommended daily allowance of vitamins to really optimise health and skin. The RDA is really there as a guide to help save off major diseases such as Scurvy or Rickets, but if we really want to ensure that we are at our optimum then we need more.
Here are several reasons why you should supplement daily.
1. With the importing of food and it not arriving on our plate as fresh as it could, then our sources of nutrition aren’t as sufficient as they once were. Important nutrients are lost through growing conditions, storage, cooking and refining.
2. Our lifestyles are busier and are affected by technologies that also put stress on our systems.
3. You won’t get optimal results on your skin just by applying creams. We need to feed the skin from within as well to really make transformations. Combining superior nutrition with superior skincare will give you the best results in the shortest period of time.
4. Nutrition is fundamentally involved at every stage of skin development. Vitamins feed the skin over the entire body reaching even the deeper layers of the skin.
5. It is vital for boosting our immune systems and maintaining homeostasis in our bodies.
6. Many of us are deficient in Vitamin D due to lack of sunlight and spending time outdoors.
7. Medications can really deplete our nutrients.
So what supplements should you be taking? This is a very personal choice and depends on what your concerns are, so a consultation is key. Vitamin A is the most important vitamin for the skin. 95% of people don’t get the RDA of Vitamin A in their diet. However, by combining Vitamin A with a combination of phyto-nutrients will bring about truly amazing transformations. Omega 3 and 6 combined is excellent for dehydrated skin and conditions such as eczema and psoriasis.
If you are requiring vitamins for maintaining health, again it depends on what you are wanting to address. At this time of the year, when immune systems can be compromised, then I recommend a combination of a high quality, high strength Vitamin C supplement, along with Colostrum-C. Colostrum is the substance produced by mammals in the first hours after giving birth. It naturally contains immunoglobulins which is the most common antibody in the body and are very important in fighting bacterial and viral infections.
Here at Sarah Hurst Skin & Beauty we recommend supplements from the Advanced Nutrition Programme. Why have we chosen these over the myriad of supplements on the market? The Advanced Nutrition Programme follows the HFMA (Health Food Manufacturers Association) guidelines which means:
· They are manufactured to pharmaceutical standards
· They source the best quality bulk ingredients
· They have routine Laboratory checks
· They have the best quality ingredients without artificial additives. Free from artificial preservatives, colours, flavouring, PCBs and fillers with no added sugar, salt, soya, wheat, gluten, yeast, lactose or dairy products.
· Omegas are Epax™, which use an advanced purification and concentration technology.
· There is research behind each ingredient to identify effective levels
· The Advanced Nutrition Programme is committed to promoting environmental awareness. Please watch the YouTube video to see more about their endeavours.
If you would like to find out more about how supplements can help your skin and wellbeing then please call us on 01273 270709 and arrange a consultation. We would be more than happy to help.